Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Another good reason NOT to exercise!

So you go through life trying to improve yourself. Push yourself. Try new things. Make strides. Raise money for charity. Be a good person. Hah! You train for a 100 mile bike race thinking "This is awesome, just think if you can really pull this off it will be a big accomplishment." A couple of months into training you come down with this weird cough. Metallic/blood like aftertaste in your mouth, hacking like a 40 year smoker etc. Not fun. So it scared me. With all the vocal chord trouble I have had I was getting really nervous. Excessive coughing is something to avoid if I can, along with clearing my throat, yelling and whispering. For the past 4 weeks I have had a lot of throat pain, many asthma issues, indigestion etc. I went to see the wonderful, fabulous Dr. Haben today. His conclusion..."you have acid reflux induced laryngitis which is a result of our recent cycling training(most likely)". It is apparently due to the position of your body as you ride your bike. Hmmmmmm good reason to bail on ride? NO! I AM NOT A QUITER! A complainer maybe, but no quitter. My throat is swollen, bumpy, and there are some slight calluses on the vocal chords but they are closing symmetrically so there is nothing to worry about as far as the surgery/recovery etc. Here's something TO WORRY about. NO MORE BEER! Yes you read correctly. I am not longer allowed to drink beer or soda and I have to take a pill everyday for the reflux. After his diagnosis was made he said, "by no means should you stop exercising, and you are too young to be married to a pill for the rest of your life but let's try this out for a few months and...I'll even sponsor you for the ride." Well, thank you very much Doc! I love that guy.

Mel OUT!

1 comment:

  1. i cannot wait to get a hold of your blood. 2 more months and i'm a certified naturopath (did i mention that? the major lifce changing career change? i sell jeweley too now! check me out www.mysilpada.com/kim.townson) and then 6 months of my specialty class (live blood analysis) and then you are all mine. i will have your acid reflux gone with natural measures in no time flat.
    k

    ReplyDelete